I vividly remember being in high school and setting a pan on the stove on fire. I can tell you what I was doing, what I did right, what I did wrong, and I can even tell you about the plant sitting in the window above the sink. In those seconds, which felt like an eternity, I still remember thinking about how my parents would kill me if I burned the house down while trying to make crepes.
Did you know that 2/3 of home cooking fires start with the ignition of food or other cooking materials? How about this – Thanksgiving Day is the peak day for home cooking fires, followed by Christmas Day and Christmas Eve? Given those statistics, the staff at A Cleaner World Fire Restoration thought it might be a good idea to just revisit all those cooking safety tips we already know.
- Stay in the kitchen if you have anything cooking on the stove top.
- If you have something cooking in the oven stay in the kitchen, check on it regularly, and set a timer as a reminder.
- Be sure to keep cooking surfaces clean to prevent food and grease buildup.
- Avoid wearing loose fitting clothing when cooking.
- Keep flammable items away from your stove and oven.
- Always have the appropriate lids for your pots and pans nearby in case you need to smother or cover a fire.
- Check your kitchen before leaving or going to bed to make sure all appliances are off.
- Keep a fire extinguisher in your kitchen and check it periodically to ensure it is not expired and is in good working order.
- Install a smoke alarm near your kitchen and test it monthly. Replace the batteries at least once a year.
If a fire starts, get out. Fires can quickly get out of control, and your safety along with the safety of your loved ones is priority number one. If you feel like you can put it out, alert others so they can evacuate and be certain you have an escape plan. One last point never pick up or move a pan that is on fire; this could cause the fire to spread to other parts of the house. Remember, stuff can be replaced. You cannot.